Basic "Focusing on the Breath" Meditation
- Sit comfortably with your back straight but not stiff and hands resting comfortably in your lap.
- Start noticing how your experience your breath....where do you feel it the strongest? In your nostrils? Or your chest or abdomen?
- How would you describe the sensations? Is the air cool as it enters your nose? Do you feel the expansion of your chest as you inhale and the emptying as you exhale?
- Continue to notice the sensations of the breath as best you can.
- When your mind wanders, gently bring your attention back to your breath.
- Your mind will wander many times - this is very normal. Just continue to refocus on the breath. Again and again and again!
This simple practice can be done for just a few minutes or for 10, 20 or 30 minutes. Whenever you practice, be aware of any changes you notice....in your ability to focus, any increased relaxation, more ease getting to sleep, etc. As with any new skill, the more you practice, the easier it gets! Try it !
Click on the audio below for an 10 minute guided meditation on the breath.
Wind Sculpture "Seeing" Meditation
I have a beautiful wind sculpture in my backyard.
In this short video meditation, the focus of your attention is on the movement of the sculpture. Notice what happens in your body or with your breath as you just watch. You may also be aware of sounds (yes, it was starting to rain!). Take in the seeing and hearing of this meditation and just observe and enjoy!
Notice what happens if you watch the video a second time. Are you aware of different things? Is the effect on your body the same? Try watching it again with "soft eyes".